Successful online business ideas
Hey all, Em here today.
Recently we’ve shared some tools to get you started with building a website, and how to find great search terms to get people viewing your website.
We’ve briefly touched on finding successful online business ideas, so today I want to cover this in a bit more detail. This will really help you drill down into that fantastic idea that you can then turn into a profitable website.
We’re going to look at the three key components to online success.
#1: Find your niche
We touched on this in our beginner’s guide to websites post, but I can’t emphasize enough how important this part of the process is, so let’s take another look in a bit more detail.
Find a broad topic
The first part of finding your niche is getting an idea of what sort of category your website might fit into. Do you really like food? Awesome. Let’s start there. Or perhaps you enjoy watching golf. Again, awesome. You could start there.
At this stage, you’re wanting to find an area that you enjoy and that you are going to be happy spending LOTS of time researching and writing about. It is crucial that you feel comfortable and happy writing lots about your topic, because you’re going to be spending a lot of time with it.
Many people get this bit wrong. They choose a topic purely based on the fact they think it will make them money. Don’t do that. You’ll hate writing your website and end up abandoning it.
Drill into your topic to find your exact niche
Now you’ve found your topic, you need to get specific. Why? Let’s use the food example.
You like food (who doesn’t?!), and you want to write a website all about food. What happens when you Google food, or see what your website competition is like? You’re gonna find thousands of results. Your food website will get lost in the crowd.
If you make your site about one type of food, or one aspect of food, you’d have a lot better chances of people finding your website.
You might decide “hey, food is too broad. I really like chicken”. This would be a good start to defining your niche. Maybe your interest in food is going to make you the proud owner of a website about simple chicken recipes.
You could write tons of recipes, do book reviews, talk about organic chicken, free range chicken, etc etc etc! Hopefully this shows you how one seemingly narrow idea (chicken recipes) can become a whole website.
See how we’ve taken a broad topic, picked one aspect, then narrowed that down again? That is how you come up with your exact niche.
#2: Write your awesome website
Okay. You have a solid idea for your website, you’ve watched the video on building your website and you’re ready to write. Here are my five top tips for making your website awesome.
- Use headers. Like you see in our posts, break your content up into small chunks with headers and white space.
- Use pictures. People are visual creatures, they like pictures. Use them! If you’re unsure where to find great images for free, here’s a video to help you out:
- Make sure your content is helpful. If people trust your advice and like what you’re saying, they’re going to stop by your site more often, tell their friends… and Google will like it a whole lot more too. Helping people should be your primary focus.
- Don’t clutter it with ads and banners. We’re gonna talk about how to monetize your site in just one moment. But don’t be that person that fills your site with ads in the hope people will click them. They will create a distraction and people won’t like it. Focus on writing good, helpful content first.
- Write regularly. Google wants to see that you’re contributing lots of great content, as do your repeat website visitors. Some people post on their websites every day, others once or twice per week. There is a lot of debate about how much is best, so I suggest you figure out a schedule that works for you and stick to it. Now you can see why it’s important to love what you’re writing about!
#3: Monetize your site
Before you even think about doing this, make sure you have your site all set up, with at least some great blog posts. It is only once you’re posting regularly and seeing traffic that you should think about making money from your site.
I’ve got a list of ways you can make money from your site here, and we’ll cover each of them in their own detailed blog post another time. You need to focus on setting up your site, then come back and check how to monetize it, please!
- Affiliate marketing
- Ads on your website (like we said, not too many)
- Selling information products (like an Ebook or a video training course)
- Creating a members only part of your website
- Selling physical products
There will be more. This is a basic list to get you started. You might use one of these ideas, you might use all of them. It is up to you, and your website to find the best fit.
So there you have it. A three step process to a successful online business, with some great ideas to help you out. Get started today, you’ve got nothing to lose and a debt-free future to gain
image by SEOPlanter, CC 2.0, https://flic.kr/p/cnfEEu